Saturday, April 29, 2006
I've been busy playing with photo references from Wetcanvas this afternoon. I picked one with lemons on a cutting board and removed the color in photoshop elements, so I could practice comparing local color to the appropriate value of gray... it was a fun exercise. I'm going to try and do more pencil studies like this to sharpen my visual ability to see various tones. Using the computer program helped me to see where I was not strong enough in my darks.
Friday, April 28, 2006
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Monday, April 24, 2006
These were my attempts at playing with water mixable oil paints. I wanted to experiment with monoprinting, so I used some small art trading card sized paper (2.5 x 3.5 inches), made a design on glass, pressed the paper over the paint, lifted, and ended up with these abstract shapes. Not sure what I expected, or even if I had a plan. It was a while ago, and I had to wait for these little gems to dry for a few days. I wasn't impressed with my efforts. :(
I just found them stashed in my art card box, and I thought I'd revive them with a little ink drawing on top. Now they've become my favorite little cards... not sure if I can part with them. I think it's the child-like quality that attracts me to them most of all. :)
Friday, April 21, 2006
Yesterday I played with my Higgins Sepia Calligraphy ink (water soluble) and my new nib dip pen in my small Moleskine. I added water to make some tan tones... then added the yellow and green watercolors. Makes me think of the old children's books of the 50's with the three color processing??? Some vintage look??? I don't know anything about printing processes, so excuse my faulty definition. But it was fun! I used a reference photo from my garden (see previous post for photo).
Thursday, April 20, 2006
A quick impressionistic watercolor of wildflowers on 2.5 x 3.5 inch cold press watercolor paper.
After sketching Forget-Me-Nots in my Moleskine, I decided to create an atc too. Watercolor on Vellum Bristol. 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
Spring is fleeting here in Florida. The hot sun begins to bake humans and florals alike with the onset of grueling summer temperatures, so I've been trying to work outside while it is still considered "mild". With all the Easter activities, I've gotten behind in some of my art projects, but I'm hoping to get back to sketching and painting again soon. Here is my recent addition to my backyard garden... drought-tolerant daisies!
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Yesterday I worked on this Giant Red Paintbrush. I used a combination of watercolors and watercolor pencils in my small Moleskine. I like using the watercolors for the backgrounds, because I don't always have the patience to apply pencil to large areas. I'm cheating! LOL The petals are done entirely in watercolor pencil... mostly Prismacolors with a few Albrecht Durer's too.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Monday, April 10, 2006
I created this ACEO after the larger study I finished in my Moleskine last week. This is done on Vellum Bristol, 2.5 x 3.5 inches with ink and watercolor pencils. I will be adding this to my Ebay auctions tonight under my ebay seller id: studio318
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
On one of my art groups we were discussing mixed media and colored pencil overlays, so I decided to make a few quick examples of how I've been able to work with the two media together. Most of the colored pencil additions were left without adding water. When adding water, I noted this. :)
Violet and Cobalt acrylic background
Indigo colored pencil over background
Carmine Red over background
Naples yellow acrylic underpainting
Sap Green pencil around base of flower center
Scarlet pencil overlay on Naples yellow
White acrylic highlight
White acrylic petals, overlayed with Indigo colored pencil and some purple
Cerulean Blue and white acrylic background
Purple colored pencil overlay on background
Tulip Leaves and Petals:
Naples yellow acrylic base
Sap Green pencil over leaves--liquified slightly
Blue Indigo pencil over leaves--not liquified
Orange pencil over tulip base color of Permanent Rose acrylic and white
White acrylic highlights
Opposite page Leaf study. I varied my base coats of acrylic paint and added a different configuration of colored pencils over each one, resulting in 3 different results. Hopefully you can see the notes that explain each addition written in pencil along the side.
This was fun! I will probably spray this with fixative, so my pencil notes don't smear in the Moleskine.
Saturday, April 01, 2006
Kiss the Frog
These were experiments on 2.5 x 3.5 inch Vellum Bristol. I collaged pieces of dictionary papers as a base, glazed diluted white acrylic over it, then added other colors after I sketched the drawing with permanent black ink. Some of the dictionary papers show through the glazing.